Less than half of those who qualify for financial assistance actually sign up.
If you have limited income and assets, you may qualify for help with medical costs for care you receive under Medicare. Contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213, TTY 1-800-325-0778, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. You can also call your state Medical Assistance or Medicaid office.
Keep reading for more information
Don’t hesitate to apply for help with Medicare.
Here are a few of the programs you can look into if you need financial assistance.
- Medicaid A medical assistance program for certain individuals and families with limited incomes and resources. Medicaid is jointly funded by the federal and state governments and managed by the states. It includes programs that help pay Medicare premiums and cost-sharing.
helps pay costs not covered by Original Medicare (Part A and Part B). It may also include some added benefits that Original Medicare doesn’t cover, including prescription drugs, eye care or long-term care.
- The Medicare Savings Program helps you pay your Original Medicare premiums, deductibles and coinsurance.
- Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) combines medical, social and long-term care services for people over the age of 55 who meet the qualifications to receive nursing home care, but live and get their services in the community. This program is not available in all states.
- Prescription drug premium assistance programs help pay some or all Medicare Part D premiums, deductibles, copays and coinsurance.
- Other programs may be available in your state.
Are you eligible for financial assistance?
Whether you are eligible for financial assistance depends on your income. Your income includes money you get from retirement benefits or other money that you report for tax purposes. It also includes your assets (for example, property other than your house). The income eligibility levels vary by state and program. In 2012, the income eligibility average is close to $16,755 a year for an individual or $22,695 for a couple.
Want to learn more?
Contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213, TTY 1-800-325-0778, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday, or call your state Medical Assistance or Medicaid office. You can also get more answers by calling a Medicare Made Clear representative at 1-877-619-5582, TTY 711, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time, seven days a week.